Re: nationalism and foucault

I have thought about Alexei's point before, too, especially with
relation to the "language game" on various discussion lists. It is one
thing to condemn (and often referring to Foucault in doing so) the use
of English as subscribing to some hegemony - but then again, isn't
the use of ANY language a subscription to some homogenizing
discourse??? And isn't the insistence to write in, say, German some
kind of nationalism? This probably is not a problem of F.'s writing -
rather a problem of people using F.'s writing to make it fit to their own
discursive construction of the world...

any comments?

********* original message follows *******

> Telos, a magazine often perceived as an anti-liberal, nationalist
forum
> is saturated with Foucault's interviews and references to his works.
> Where the Western nationalists find the Foucault's theory
beneficial for
> advance of their agenda? Is it because they both--Foucault and
the
> nationalist camp--unite in their anti-hegemonic sentiment? Is that all
> or we can dig deeper to find common roots? Thank you. Alexei
Deshevoi

Thomas Diez, M.A.
doctoral candidate / researcher
Mannheim Centre for European Social Research
Tel. ++49-621-292-8465
Fax. ++49-621-292-8435
E-Mail Thomas.Diez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx