Re:

On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Quetzil E. Castaneda wrote:

> Humanity and the great crime against Humanism that might(?) whoknows result!
> oh. dear. i have stayed up past my bed time. sorry for the exaggerated
> response, but gangs not = hitler youth. no way baby.

Yet there is a suspicious degree of validity that you lend to the
equation if only by virtue of such an "exaggerated response" to such a
banally meaningless analogy. Why not make the comparison. The fact is
that there's no need anymore to recognize the historical contingencies
and sociohistorical causes of this phenomenon in order to make a
comparison with it. It's become unhinged from
its contingencies and is now nothing but a big blob of simulacra. It's
the grand A of American cultural criticism, serving the same function as
Disneyland for the Continentals. If you want to condemn something
compare it to Nazism or Disneyland, both analogies are equally
meaningless and for that very reason equally valid. I say the more such
analogies the better, let's speed up the process of banalization and
realize all the more quickly the revolutionary potential of silence. Long
live Baudrillard!

///////ganesh/unfolding///////
||landis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|||