Re: humanising post humanism (was Re: In defence of humans)

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Bryan Palmer wrote:

> If this all seems a little rambling and unfocused, I am sorry, I am
> struggling to find plainer language in which to express the anguish I feel.
> Unfortunately, I suspect I am being accused of wasting your (plural) time;
> and as our interactions have become a little ritualistic, I will withdraw to
> think more about the kind of dialectic that allows me to move forward.

I don't think that you should imagine that you are wasting time (not mine
at least). This has been the best thread on this list in months.
Foucault never missed an opportunity to learn more about govt. or
institutional practices. So don't stop, and share any sort of
dialectical movement you create.

Fraser's book, which interestingly from your standpoint, has about 8
chapters that are pretty theoretical (on Foucault, Derrida, Habermas,
Rorty), and about 2 "applied" chapters, might give you some ideas.

Nancy Fraser, _Unruly Practices: Power, Discourse and Gender in
Contemporary Social Theory_ (Minnesota UP, 1989).

Although I would disagree with his Habermasian turn at the end, check out
John McGowan, _Postmodernism and its Critics_ (Cornell UP, 1991).>

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI 53211