Re: foucault and bourdieu

On Sun, Feb 18, 1996 1:01:50 AM at Spoon Collective wrote:

> [...]

This is an interesting question that I have been toying with lately, though
I'm not sure I have anything really concrete to offer. I mean, it would be
possible to write up an inventory of all those features which they share
and which distinguish them from eachother, which would probably be an
immense task. On a general level, bourdieu's writings on the body in Logic
of Practice and again in Distinction sometimes looks like Foucault's late
writings on ethics, and I think in Invitation to Reflexive sociology he
actually addressess the question of this contrast directly. Otherwise, I
think that bourdieu permits a sort of limited degree of subjective agency
in playing the game of cultural consumption that Foucault would find
frighteningly humanist. Foucault's insistence on the normative apparatus
of institutional discourses as inscribing subjectivity would remind
bourdieu too much of levi strauss's structuralism, one of his favourite
betes noire.

Perhaps this contrast would gain some real coherence if it were brought to
a specific question. I know that Axel Honneth has written on Bourdieu in
relation to assorted habermassian concerns about normativity, discourse
ethics etcetera. In fact, his recent book on social pathology or something
has a chapter on Bourdieu's game theory, which is trashed for not
permitting communicative consensus between players. Since this critiuqe is
often made of Foucault by various habermassians, looking at Honneths
treatment of bourdieu (and I think foucault gets a chapter) might help to
draw out and contrast some of their defining features.

sam