Reading Order of Things - Prose of the World

Since I don't know where everyone else is in their reading, I'll just
pose a few questions concerning the first two sections of "The Prose
of the World."

1) On the distinction between hermeneutics and semiology - Perhaps
its because the two fields are superimposed in the analysis, but I'm
having trouble understanding this distinction. For example: "
'Nature' is trapped in the thin layer that holds semiology and
hermeneutics one above the other." Can anyone clear this up a bit?

I was going to add a few more questions, but I'll see what responses
come from this before moving on.