Re: cyber reading group

> > Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 19:23:22 -0800 (PST)
> > From: DERRICK ALLUMS <dallums@xxxxxxxx>
> > To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Cc: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: more pseudo defense of habermas

> Hello all,
> Would any of you be interested in starting up a cyber reading
> group? We could decide on a text --presumably one of Foucault's-- and a
> period of time by which everyone interested should have finished the
> book, chapter, section, etc. before we began the actual discussion. It
> seems to me this could go a long way toward grounding a conversation,
> something that might make it easier for people to feel comfortable
> joining in. I am personally open to almost any of the books and even
> to some collections of interviews, etc. Am I alone in this? Or does such a
> thing already exist in a different cyber-place?
>
> Curiously,
> dda

Hello Derrick Allums

The idea of a cyber reading group sounds brilliant to me.
I'd like to support the proposition to read "The order of things"
instead of reading "The order of discourse". To me, the first text is the more
systematic one and it was published earlier. I think there are many theoretical shifts in the
latter text (and the methodology of the so-called "discourse analysis" is not
completely explicated in it), that make discussing it difficult, if there is no
shared common foundation in the discussing group. After having
discussed "The order of things", there will be such a shared
theoretical and methodological foundation.

What about the "technical conditions" of reading and discussing, concerning
time frames and amounts of text to discuss?

So long

Rainer Diaz-Bone
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Fakulty of Social Science