Literature (was: Prose of the World)

Erick Heroux, following Darlene Sybert's lead (sorry, I missed that
post), discusses John Rajchman's _Michel Foucault: The Freedom of
Philosophy_ and Simon During's _Foucault & Literature: Towards a
Genealogy of Writing_, specifically the treatment of Foucault's
relationship to/with literature in these works.

I just finished writing an essay on Foucault's essays in literature
during the 1961-1966 period, from "The Father's `No'" to "The Thought
>from Outside." IMHO, David Carroll, in his _Paraesthetics_, is the one of
the few who outlines the problem of Foucault and Literature (something
which During's book, despite it's title, is not really about; he's more
interested, it seems to me, in showing how Foucault has been and can be
used in literary spheres) in its fuller scope.

Also worth checking out are the essays by Denis Hollier and (if my memory
serves me) Raymond Bellour in _Michel Foucault Philosopher_.

I'd be curious to hear people's hypotheses as to why Foucault
dismisses literature as a category after _The Order of Things._ And also
why he often appeals to Artaud as an example of madness and literature
but never treats Artaud in-depth in an essay. I'm thinking Derrida might
factor into this.....

Tom Orange
tmorange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx