Re: Savings and Profit

Gabriel Ash wrote:

Nicholas wrote:

> Marx, clearly, was was affected by Dickensian Londen. He lived
> >during a time of radical economic change and it certainly wasn't pretty.
> >I don't know if his "insights" apply today. Sure, we can throw about Marxist
> >theory, but can we throw it about *as if* its terms really fit the phenomenon?

> Marxist theory is not supposed to fit the phenomena, it is supposed to force
> the phenomena to fit those who in the present state of things are considered misfits.

Who cares? That will just create another set of misfits.

> > In order for a voluntary labor cooperative (assuming you're talking
> >about them and not a top-down enforcement of a cooperative arrangement on
> >all firms) to be as productive as a "capitalist" firm, it would need very
> >dedicated members. Free-riders abound in the world. They're out there,
> >waiting to sap you and me of valuable resources. Be careful.
>
> Yeh, I see all those starved faces of Africa and Sout-America glowing at me as they
> look out for a free-ride on my back. The amazing thing about North America, is that
> it is problably the only place in the world where otherwise sensible people seriously
> believe that the poor exploit the rich.

Things can go to far in either direction. I wouldn't take my car
to a union shop, ever! Unions suck. Stupid people. Poor work. "I'm sorry,
Mr. Dronen, but we can't work on your car until next week: it's a silver car
and work rules state clearly that silver cars are not to be attended to during
second week of any month due to the increased probablility (0.0000000000000087%,
to be exact) that one of the boys will be crushed by a meteorite on his way home
if he works on a silver car during the first week of the month."

And this is supposed to be an improvement?

Leftism is going nowhere in the world (without its noxious violence, that is)
unless it learns to devise solutions that do not result in endless absurdities.

Nicholas