Re: Truth quote

I think Flannon, I made no claim to know in advance what such a term might
mean, other than to argue for its alterity as distinct from the thought of
it. Foucault does exactly the same. In fact, i questioned the very notion of
an 'absolute truth'. However, you say:>

>You speak of the truth here as if you knew in advance what such a term
>might mean. This is a mistake which you will not find in foucault, for
>it too is simple minded.

More 'tablets of stone' Foucault reading going on here I think.
Then if Foucualt knows not what it is, how can he either deny or affirm its
existence? But I think that Foucault does refer to truth, hence if I am
commiting an error, then I am in good company.

Rorty gets himeself into a similar predicament in PMN, declaring that, and I
paraphrase, 'the last thing a philosopher such as I would wish to claim is
that we (he likes this word by the way, CW) we have got something right'. Oh
well, why didn't he say that in the first place, then I could have been
spared the trouble of reading his stuff.

Cheers.

"What I try to achieve is the history of the relations which
thought maintains with truth; the history of thought insofar as it is the
thought of truth. All those who say truth does not exist for me are
simple minded."
(Foucault)

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics