suggestion for list - feminists and foucault

On Mon, Jun 10, 1996 10:20:21 PM, Dan Harrison wrote:

>In other words, I think that the BEST thing that
>CAN EVER come out of this list would beto quote Foucault and his various
(or
>related) texts, or those written about him. This will certainly take less
>time than coming up with inane things to say on a regular basis, and will
>also prove to be more enlightening.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean, many of us already own the
books. Why do we need computers and stuff if we're just going to send
eachother little quotes?

I'm more interested in looking at the question of how feminists react to
Foucault (as if there were one single feminist reaction). I'll pose a
simple question, which I believe is often direced at Hist Sex vol I. How
is it possible to write a history of sexuality which barely mentions women?
With the exception of one or two pages, Foucault gives little space to a
consideration of a "sex/gender system" in which power is unevenly
distributed between genders. Is this an oversight which makes it
impossible to take the book seriously?