Re:Modernity

>An article told me that Foucault regards the essence of the modern
>epoche being oppressive.
>Why the modern epoche, and not pre-modern times?
>
>Peter Norberg

I don't really think this is the point. Modernity has only found (or should
I say, it IS) the most succesful method to realize control and power, but I
don't think the right term to be "oppressive".

There are some aspects of modern control that are very peculiar of our age:
the shift from the act to the individual, and the control of freedom
instead of the control of the parts of the body.
Probably, Foucault wouldn't think tha modernity is more oppressive. The
Panopticon stands for the efficiency of modern control methods, not for
their oppressiveness. I think it's even the opposite: the more the control
is efficient, the less it has to be oppressive.

(my written english is quite tentative, sorry)

Matteo Bortolini
University of Bologna, Italy

Matteo Bortolini
ner0953@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx