Re: Foucauldian readings on the History and Philosophy of Scientific Rationality

B wanika askes for alternative to knowledge - power symbiosis. This have
already given reactions, which states, that power connot be avioded in
Foucaults thinking. I will like to add, that the noting of power in
Foucault is linked to the fokus on "how" in contrast to the noting "why" as
pointed out in another dicussion on this list some weeks ago. "How"
introduces a fokus on the way things are organized - the functioning of
various matters. And not so much how to change things. The question "why"
often fokus on formulating different degrees of transcendent reality - so
called abstract utopias, which is very fare from the philosophy of
Foucault. It does not mean, that you cannot think in alternatives grounded
on Foucault, but did not write such matters into his text. This leads me to
the second part of the question, which deals with the expertocratic
classes. Foucault was as many other french intellectuals political active
(an present exampel of the same tendency is Pierre Bourdieu), but he
insisted on a seperation of his political praxis and the scientific
analysis. The perspective is to be aware that you are situated in power,
but at the same times try to confront powerstructures by speaking up
towards what you find unjust - by undressing the powerinterest in society -
by working to promote the conditions for alternative interests. The
formulating of what is right and wrong, the choice of interest just cannot
be a scientific matter acording to Foucault, but must be done concrete in
your daily and political praxis.

I am also inspired by german critical theory, especialle Ernst Bloch and
Walter Benjamin, which may influence my interpretation of Foucault! One
problem with some critical theory is that it tries to objectify the
platfrom from where actions take place by making critique into science.
Foucault functions for me as a weapon aginst this problem.

I think that to export the discussion of right and wrong, discussions of
which interests you prefere to promote to concrete chioces, maust not
result in that these matters are not discussed From owner-foucault Wed Sep 25 15:28:04 1996