Re: Foucault vs. Chomsky

Responding to the message of <961005000826_202489347@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>from foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> actually, i believe foucault denied the post-structuralist label. he said he
> didn't know what it was exactly-what it meant
>
> .

To be even more precise, Foucault did speak a little about post-structuralism
but only in a very narrow way (as a certain situating of structuralism by later
thinkers) and only as a response to a direct question on the topic. With
respect to postmodernity--and I think this point is crucial given how easily so
many commentators on Foucault call him a post-modernist--he said the following:
"What are we calling postmodernity? I am not up to date."

All of this is from the "Critical Theory/Intellectual History" interview, which
is in the Kelly volume (among many others).

Sam Chambers

Folow-ups
  • Re: Foucault vs. Chomsky