Re: Foucualt and the study of law

=?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5kan?= Johansson writes:

> Hello
>
> I am a graduate student in sociology studying at Uppsala University,
> Sweden. I am interested in the problem of using and discussing Foucaults
> work with an empirical material consisting of formal laws. Where are the
> best references where this problem is being dissected?
>
> A short question but a big problem.

My colleague Alan Hunt -- you can reach him at the address I give below --
is in the middle of an extended publication project on Foucault and the
law. He has just published a book, for example -- GOVERNANCE OF THE
CONSUMING PASSIONS: A HISTORY OF SUMPTUARY LAW -- and he has a number of
journal aticles on the topic. The book is published in England, but not
yet available here. He is in Vancouver at the moment giving a series of
invited lectures in the Faculty of Law at the University of British
Columbia on Foucault and the Law. Hunt has a joint appointment here in
the departments of Sociology and Law. I am sure that if you wrote him,
even by EMAIL, that he would give you references etc. so that you could
get on with hisnmaterial,

EMAIL: ala_hunt@xxxxxxxxxxx

Ordinary Mail: Prof. Alan Hunt
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6
CANADA

Good luck with your project!!

Derek G. Smith

Derek G. Smith
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 3J2
Email address: desmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • WhAT???