Applied Foucault

Hello, I've just joined this list, hopefully!
I've also browsed the archives and am very happy to
see the list is alive and well.

formally I am an undergraduate student of philosophy
and cultural anthropology at university of wisconsin, milwaukee.
however, I am a bit late, returning to college after a wandering the
earth for eleven years. (there is no better informal education.)

I came to begin my study of Foucault in an "Anthropology of
the Body" class, which dovetailed nicely with my interests in
the Philosophy of Mind, Semiotics, and Information Theory, etc.

Otherwise, I leave myself unqualified since I am bound to be a
mere lurker, and as well, I believe that the quality of one's
thoughts
is the best introduction or qualification of the self on the net.

However, in reading the archives, I found this paragraph written by
"Stephen D'Arcy" <darcy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

"I don't know what you mean. What, for example, does it tell us
about
German fascism in the 1930's and 1940's when we learn that Hitler was
"an outside agitator" from Austria? Surely this is not one of the
more important things to know for those want to understand the Nazi
movement and its history."

Let me jot my response to this, as I have to get off the terminal
now now now! (Happy to retuen to lurking).

I found this thought interesting since it seems to be analogous
to Foucault's idea that one can never stand outside of power
as critic. So, what difference does the origin of a leader make?
It does seem that power has a global significance.

Eric Nelson Shook mailto:enshook@xxxxxxxxxxx
Student of Philosophy & Cultural Anthropology
"The mind moves more than the fingers. An
education should not seek to change this."