Re: Foucault and ideal types

At 06:54 PM 11/21/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear Foucauldians,
>
>I am just writing on a section about ideal types and discourse analysis. A
contradiction, you might think, but maybe we have to learn to think in
paradoxes anyway... The question I would like to ask is about a source: I
remember I read somewhere a passage in which Foucault criticized the concept
of ideal types, but although I could guess why and how he did so, I can't
find the source anymore. Does anyone, by chance, know where I may have this
from?

Thomas,

See Foucualt's postface to "L'impossible prison" (ed Michelle Perrot, 1980),

reprinted in: "Dits et Ecrits", vol 3, pp35--

in English in: "Questions of Method" in "THe foucault effect: studies in
governmentality" (Burchell et al. 1991)

Campbell Jones
University of Otago
New Zealand