Re: Hello

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Eric Angel wrote:

> To All:
> Just wondering if there was anybody in this group. I joined over a week ago,
> and there have be no postings yet.
>
> Eric Angel
> plato@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Heh, heh, at current count there are actually 530 people subbed to this
here group. As such things go this is a somewhat fickle group and there
are times when one might even characterize it as recalcitrant.
Occasionally there is a spark of brilliance that crops up just long enough
to kindle ones hopes that things might get interesting here, but for the
most part these sparks quickly die and the l*st slides back into its usual
torpor. I don't know what it is but there definitly seems to be a
reluctance to engage the work itself and instead what you're apt to find
are questions that would seek to reveal the true subject beneath the work
-- Just _who_ is Foucault really? -- as if the work itself had never been
read. Or another favorite, you will often find those who have no love for
questions but rather would seek only answers, as if they were up against
the limit of a deadline and hoping that the net would magically produce a
paper for them. Or you might also run into an attempt to "humanize" the
work, forcinf Foucault to divulge an ethics that we might find more
palatable in our daily existence.

I've often wondered if people shy from engaging the work out of fear,
scared, as it were, by the prospect that this is a minor space where the
copy right remains in doubt and the publishers accolades are not
bestowed. Ah but you'll have to forgive me for I do seem to be whining.

Flannon