----------
From: Sawyer, Phil

Hello as well

I too am new to the Foucault list. I must confess I'm also fairly new to
Foucault. I'm doing a PhD on community participation in urban regeneration
partnerships at Sheffield Hallam University. Initially I was interested in
this as a mirror of the colonisation process proposed by Habermas. However,
as I've become increasingly involved in empowerment literature I've realised

that Foucault's ideas regarding power are infinitely more helpful (and
interesting!) - namely, that power is not necessarily a finite resource
which needs to be transferred, but a function of the multiple power
relationships which take place. More specifically, the synergy model of
partnership suggests that power can be created by two or more partners
working towards common aims, which would seem to indicate some kind of
correlation with Foucault. Am I reading Foucault correctly here, because if
so many of the assumptions taken for granted in my field are held up to
question. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any comments (be gentle with me,
I'm only a beginner)

By the way, has this gone out to everyone? I am staggeringly inept at using
email. My apologies if this has only gone to one person.

One more thing. Does anyone know if there is a list discussing the work of
Mike Davies and William Gibson. I am far more interested in Gibson as an
(admittedly pessimistic) urban theorist than as a cyberpunk utopian. I feel
that Gibson's underlying concerns with the privatisation of public space and

public life, drawn explicitly from the work of Davies, have been rather
ignored.

I'll stop now

Phil