Re: Bryan on Human Sexuality

Hey folks!

I think we all know how the written words on
the net can appear far more intense than meant.
Occasionally we write a response where our
recall of this slips up, but that's usually
because we'd like to get into the problematic.

I'm just happy to see folks starting to
think together here. So, perhaps we should start
to think first about the value of the space we are
in and oath to each other to take a highly
self-conscious position about what we post to
each other, as well as about criticizing what
is a criticism. It can all be so hypocritical if
we don't keep in mind that we are all bound
to write stuff that is seen as disagreeable!

So, I'd like to remark that all parties who I've
begun to become familiar with here all seem to
be interested in dialogue, and therefore they also
seem to be interested in seeing each other as
putting forward interesting thoughts to each other.
I don't think anyone intends to have a shooting
match! It's just that we are all kind of puppies
in cyberspace becuase we want to play but don't
always see how our own strength reads! (On
the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Sometimes not even you! ;)

It's a good idea to remind Bryan to be gentle,
but I hope we aren't going to estrange anyone
who doesn't mean harm. You should see some
of the posts I've written, only later realizing
I had telecast my frustration with something
in my daily life into a conversation on the net!
Over on Peirce-L I even see it happen to highly
acclaimed scholars who have been on that list for
5 years. I can imagine that it might happen to me
again some day, when I am least suspecting!

Sometimes we just use the terminal a moment
too soon, and it's hard to realize that we are
sitting in our own homes talking to people sitting
in their own homes, neither of us seeing each other,
all of us expecting a guest like conversation, yet
each of us unable to see the person.

Normally when I'm hot on criticizing someone in
real life I get this look on my face which is
tremendously playful and wry. It's taken me about
2 years to keep myself in check since other people
don't read this type of criticism from my face. They
take it straight-up dead serious! ARGHHH!

So, I hope we're all getting ready for a great x-mas!

Cheers!

Eric Nelson Shook mailto:enshook@xxxxxxxxxxx
Student of Philosophy & Cultural Anthropology
"Alienation hasn't enough sense to deliberate
over circumstances. It has no sense of humor."