Re: Care of the Self

>One of my profs nows I'm reading Foucault as
>of late. He asked if I knew where in particular
>he might read about "care of the self" in
>Foucault's later works.
>
>Would anyone else care to suggest a few particular
>places where Foucault discusses this topic?
>
>Eric Nelson Shook
>enshook@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, the obvious place to look would be vol. 3 of _The History of
sexuality_, subtitled (surprise!) "Care of the Self". ;)

However, other good places to go are:

"The Care of the Self as a Practice of Freedom," interview in _The Final
Foucault_, ed. J. Bernauer & D. Rasmussen (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984).

A short book entitled _Technologies of the Self_ is also good. Articles by
Foucault and others.

In _The Foucault Reader_, "What is Enlightenment" and the interview
entitled "On the Genealogy of Ethics: An Overview of a Work in Progress".

Hope this helps.

David