Re: Care of the Self

At 19:02 3-1-97 -0600, you wrote:
>One of my profs nows I'm reading Foucault as
>of late. He asked if I knew where in particular
>he might read about "care of the self" in
>Foucault's later works.
>
>Would anyone else care to suggest a few particular
>places where Foucault discusses this topic?
>
>Eric Nelson Shook
>enshook@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Eric,

This is a reply to your request for readings on Foucault's idea of the care
of the self. Foucault's discussion of "the care of the self" can be found
mainly in his last two published books, which were also the last two volumes
of The History of Sexuality: "The Use of Pleasure" and "The Care of the
Self". I would suggest reading the introductory chapter of "The Use of
Pleasure" (pp. 3-32 in my edition) and part two of "The Care of the Self"
which appears under the heading of "The Cultivation of the Self" (pp.
37-68). There are also references made to the care of the self in some of
Foucault's late interviews, in particular in "The Minimalist Self" and "An
Aesthetics of Existence", both of which are collected in Politics,
Philosophy, Culture (Edited by Lawrence L. Kritzman, Routledge, London,
1988). I hope this is helpful.

Sebastian Gurciullo
Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies
Monash University
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.
sebtempo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx