Re: Using Foucault

An interesting point has been raised here about the use (and abuse) of
Foucault's work, and bringing it to bear on different problems, such as
safer-sex campaigns, and into different contexts, the case of Rwanda. I
personally attempt to work with Foucault, to place him into different
constellations of thought, in order to see what kinds of problems can be
posed. Still, I have encountered and continue to encounter those who would
prefer to stop with the tool-box that has been provided, to create a kind of
discourse analysis that refuses to question its own conditions of
production. I find this approach to be worrying, especially given Foucault's
own warnings about simple application without problematization. I suppose
the question I'd like to contribute to this discussion is this: what is at
stake when application is at stake? Or, better, is it possible to think in,
by and through Foucault's work without closing off the possibilities and
impossibilities of problematization? And, further, what is at stake in
asking questions of Foucault's work, of extending, supplementing and
problematizing the work?

Thanks, Liz, for opening up this area of discussion.