use vs. interpretation

i too was at first struck by what seemed to me to be the rather
appropriative and perhaps uncritical assumptions behind the claim to be
"using foucault" for this or that project. yet at the same time, to
simply "interpret and reinterpret" achieves very little. it's important to
recognize then that any "use" of foucault must necessarily assume
interpretation; i would go so far as to say that interpretation has to
precede use. otherwise, what foucault does one "use," i.e., what does one
see him doing in, say, folie et deraison, and how is it different from
what one sees him doing in surveiller et punir?.....tom.
| Music is not yet written but is to be. |
| The preparation is long and of long intent |
| For the time when sound shall be subtler than we ourselves. |
| -- Wallace Stevens -- |