Re: return to transgression

John wrote, among other things,

> But often--and I think this is
> the case with the material reproduced above--thinkers like S and F are
> *describing* a condition that exists, one that confronts *all of us*.
> There is a tendency, in other words, to blame the messenger, to fault
> postmodernists for the existence of the postmodern condition, whereas in
> fact they are trying to describe it and trace out some possibilities for
> responding to the new conditions.

Yes, and this is precisely my interest in Foucault's thinking: whether it
helps me understand "conditions that confronts all of us", what conditions
they might be, and what possibilities it traces for responding to them.
Doug's remark (sorry, I'll paraphrase it from memory) that Foucault may
be providing too many reasons why one should not undertake the project
of overthrowing capitalism, for example, is something I would love him to
elaborate upon. Maybe this here second invitation will be more successful
than my first.

I want to come back to mulling over the Transgression quotes about sexuality,
but my mulling will have to wait a couple of weeks.

-m

Folow-ups
  • Re: return to transgression
    • From: Doug Henwood