Re: normativity in Foucault

At 9:38 AM -0100 3/12/97, Murray K. Simpson wrote:

>"The body thus became the issue of a conflict between parents and
>children, the child and the instances of control. The revolt of the
>sexual body is the reverse effect of this encroachment. What is the
>response on the side of power? An economic (and perhaps also
>ideological) exploitation of eroticisation, from sun-tan products to
>pornographic films. Responding precisely to the revolt of the body, we
>find a new mode of investment which presents itself no longer in the
>form of control by repression but that of control by stimulation. 'Get
>undressed - but be slim, good-looking, tanned!' For each move by one
>adversary, there is an answering one by the other. But this isn't a
>'recuperation' in the Leftists' sense. One has to recognise the
>indefiniteness of the struggle - though this is not to say it won't some
>day have and end..." (p. 57)

Is it the desire to "control" that makes "power" respond with eroticized
advertising? What about the desire to make money? What about the fact that
that kind of advertising scandalizes otherwise pro-capitalist moral
guardians? It seems to me that F used "power" in an evocative but
under-specified way.

Doug