Re: public punishments

I would have thought that body belts and chains etc., would have been
distinctly unnecessary according to a Foucaultian anaylsis. A much too
repressive and materialistic use of power. Panopticanism requires little
other than self-restraint surely?

>Reflections on capital punishment: take a look at "The Blue Room" in Yale
>Review (just out or soon to be out); it is a chilling description of the Death
>House at Florence prison in Arizona by Joan Dayan; you'll hear echoes of
>Foucault in her stunning prose. The essay has been translated into German and
>that version should be out by June. She is presently working on a book-length
>study of "Chains."

-----

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics