Counter-memory

Where does the word "counter-memory" actually come from?

I've been reading Frances Yates' wonderful book, "The Art of Memory", which
is about Renaissance "artificial memory" systems: such systems frequently
involved the mental construction of a "memory palace" in whose rooms one
would place elaborate, striking images encapsulating the things one was
trying to remember. The process of retrieval, or reminiscence, would involve
a mental walk through the rooms of the palace, in a fixed order, and a decoding
of the images one has placed in them. I wonder what a counter-memory palace
would be like...

-m