Re: Silence

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Mark Holloway wrote:

> I'm doing some thinking about silence for a dissertation on Harold Pinter
> (I'm a lit. student) and would appreciate some input/advice/feeback.
> Remembering the passage in The Dangerous Individual about the defendant
> who refuses to speak (promting a call to defend himself from the judge)
> has lead me to think about the relationship between silence and power -
> especially in terms of silence being both a sign of defiance and of
> complicity. I would really appreciate any suggestions/arguments/guidance
> from anyone on the list. If you can point me in the direction of any
> texts (by Foucault or otherwise) that you feel I ought to look at then
> that would be a great help.

it was great for me to read this, mark - i've been mulling over a
prospectus on sound and "panopticism", which i guess would be close
to some of your ideas. the texts i've looked at so far have been
_native son_, _absalom_, and _heart of darkness_ - you might want to
look em over if you want to bring in any non-pinter stuff later on.
sorry i can't offer any help with pinter, tho. i'd love to hear more
about your work, whether on list or off . . .

sig http://pages.nyu.edu/~scs7891