Re: cyber-nazis: Hitler as Mystic

Please tell me. What is the link between rationality and rearmanent? And
sorry, I simply think Bauman's arguments too one-sided. And the mysticism
was not simply Hitler's but pervaded the Third Reich. Equally, being a
bureaucrats dream implies no normative content. Are you saying bureacracy is
de facto evil?

Yes, the Nazi's harnessed a technocratic rationality to their own ends, but
that rationality was simply a tool to a greater irrational end. Also, there
have throughout history been much more spectacular acts of slaughter that
did not depend upon technocratic modernist rationality. The equation 'modern
rationality = holocaust' is simply facile (and I am not saying BTW that a
modern rationality is not without its dangers).

Thanks,

-----

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics