Re: Adorno Screen Savers

John wrote:

>Part of what we're debating on the list is if Foucualt should be
>criticized for allegedly failing to provide the kind of practical and
>pragmatic advice to oppositionists that intellectuals are usually charged
>with elaborating.

No John, this is not my critique, my point is that some readings of Foucault
make any notion of choice or action merely arbitrary. Also, i have argued
that he does indeed provide advice, but that the advice is be politically
"quiet", therein lies your true freedom.

Also, I think that you have to contextualise Adorno's "resignation". I mean
who wouldn't have felt helpless and depressed between 1939-45?

But still, I am not going to defend Adorno's "resignation" anymore than I
will defend Foucaultian "silence". Both simply retreat in the face of
seemingly overwhelming forces. As i read most of the post-thingy approach to
social theorising it displays a lack of intellectual nerve born out of the
despair of, Hungary 1956, Czechoslovakia, 1968 and Paris 1968 (sorry if any
of the dates are wrong History is not my thing).

Thanks,

-----

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics