Re: Silence

> On Wed, 21 May 1997, Mark Holloway wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm a newcomer to this list, and something of a stranger to Foucault, so
> > the mails I've read so far have been simultaneously fascinating,
> > intriguing, and bewildering.
> >
> > I'm doing some thinking about silence for a dissertation on Harold Pinter
> > (I'm a lit. student) and would appreciate some input/advice/feeback.
> > Remembering the passage in The Dangerous Individual about the defendant
> > who refuses to speak (promting a call to defend himself from the judge)
> > has lead me to think about the relationship between silence and power -
> > especially in terms of silence being both a sign of defiance and of
> > complicity. I would really appreciate any suggestions/arguments/guidance
> > from anyone on the list. If you can point me in the direction of any
> > texts (by Foucault or otherwise) that you feel I ought to look at then
> > that would be a great help.

Mark, I just thought of something else, though it again deals with
talking: I'm thinking of F's text on Parrhesia--which is Greek for "free
speech" (though not in our sense of that term). It's not published to my
knowledge. There is a German version, though: Michel Foucault, Das
Wahrsprechen des Anderen, (Verlag, 1988); The English one is a
xeroxed copy. The exact title is "Discourse and Truth: The
Problemization of 'Parrhesia.'" The second piece consists of verbatim
transcripts from a seminar given by Foucault at the University of
California, Berkeley in 1983. Both works deal with the same topic.

--John