Re: Silence

On Fri, 23 May 1997 brehkopf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Here, he talks about how "Silence may be
> a much more interesting way of having a relationship with people," and
> silence being "one of those things that has unfortunately been dropped
> from our culture." A bit about Romans and Greeks, then he says that he's
> "in favor of developing silence as a cultural ethos." (p.4)

this reminds me of another one - an old japanese movie i'd seen part of
once called, i think, _the island_? in that one the quiet power of
endurance is equally male and female, and in fact it's the woman who
breaks down and cries near the end, so i guess m.'s got a point. but
i wasn't the one who equated silent strength with femininity - of course
gender has to do with power, but race- and class-Others have also been
served with the stereotype. i find that "we shall overcome" song
politically problematic for this reason . . . boy, a lotta good noise
about silence!

sig http://pages.nyu.edu/~scs7891