Re: Silence

is the valorisation
>of resistance of the fringes of thought really only a position
>available to those rooted firmly at the centre?

This is very much the point made by Sandra Harding, who although very open
to a broadly conceived "postmodern" (actually, i try to avoid using scare
quotes whenever possible, after all, if meaning is indeterminate then have I
not just attempted to fix meaning by deploying them? A subsidary question.)
position argues that it is very difficult to give up what you have never had
(in the case of women the Enlightenment). Also, Somer Brodribb makes a
similar point in her book "Nothing Matters". I wonder if anyone on the list
has read this book by the way?

Thanks,

-----

Colin Wight