Re: help (archaeology of autobiography)

At 20:34 22/05/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm a literature student and Im lurking on this mailing list for some
>weeks. Im working on a
>dissertation about modern autobiography using Foucault, Derrida and
>Blanchot.
>My primary texts include Nietzsche, Benjamin, Barthes, Leiris,
>Robbe-Grillet ...
>Im doing two things, first an archeology of autobiographical discourse
>beginning at the end of the 18 th century, analysing epistemological
>premises and the relation to our changing notions of autobiography as we
>read them in theoretical text about autobiography (Dilthey, Misch,
>Lejeune, deMan), and second Im trying to describe textual principles of
>autobiographies, which stress temporality - delayment and
>Nachtrdglichkeit.
>
>I'm interested in Foucauld's notion of literature developed in his
>essays on madness and also in his essays on Blanchot and Bataille.
>I find it difficult to deal with the notions of death and outside, he
>elaborates with reference to Blanchot.
>Does anyone has an idea how to conceptualize his remarks on these
>concepts, one finds at the end of the Oreder of things, in the mentioned
>essays and also in the second part of Discourse on Language.
>And second, does anyone know about a positiv discourse analysis or
>archeology which deals with a literary subject?
>
>I would be grateful if anyone would like to make some suggestions (or
>offer any advice /warning) or if anyone can make references to relevant
>texts.

I suppose that you are familiar with Simon During's 'Foucault and
Literature: Towards a Genealogy of Writing' (ROutledge, 1992)?... I
wonder if Pierre Macherey's work would also be useful for what you are
doing. This sounds like a great project. Please tell us more as you go.

Campbell Jones
University of Otago
New Zealand