Powers and not-powers

Dear Murray and others,

Thanks for that. As I read the Hindess book with its mention of
government, discipline, power, pastoral care etc. I began to think that
Fraser's critique was a bit dodgy to say the least - as Murray said.

However, maybe it's the way she puts it. Her critique might better be put,
not that Foucault doesn't differentiate forms of power, but that,
everything is power and so nothing is not power.

That is ,is there not a problem with Foucault still in that if all the
above are different types of power, this doesn't allow anything much to be
not power, and it is this that makes a (particular type of?) normative
framework impossible to achieve?

Comments?

cheers,
alan

PS: I apologize if this debate is well-trodden in Foucault circles, but
I'm trying to get to grips with it!

Dr. Alan C. Hudson
University Assistant Lecturer
and
IB Director of Studies at Fitzwilliam College

Department of Geography, and Fitzwilliam College,
University of Cambridge, Cambridge,
CB2 3EN, CB3 0DG,
United Kingdom. United Kingdom.

Tel: + 44 (0) 1223 333364 (Department - Direct line)
Tel: + 44 (0) 1223 333399 (Department - General Office)
Tel: + 44 (0) 1223 358354 (Home + Answerphone)
Fax: + 44 (0) 1223 333392 (Department)
E-Mail: ach1005@xxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/achhome.htm
(Currently, a dull (lack of time), slow (not my fault!), but functional
(mainly luck), website!)