Re: 2 Foucaults

Ferda:

thanks for answering my question so carefully and concisely. I was
aware of Rorty's mild mannered liberalism, though I didn't know his
reading of Foucault pervaded the american reception so deeply as to
define an "American Foucault". This is unfortunate, since, from what I
grasp of R's liberal, pragmatic reductions of continental theorists
generally, much is lost.

Perhaps I'm missing some earlier posts that would clarify things for me,
but when you refer to the AMerican Foucault, are you referring only to
this conference in 1988 and Rorty's contribution, or can one speak more
generally about an American Foucault. Americans like nancy Fraser would
support the American Foucault as liberal thesis, but how would Dreyfus
and Rabinow fit into this american reception? Or more recent works like
David Halprin's "Saint Foucault".

sb