Re: Foucault and Aries

>Hello. Sorry; I don't know about that reference, myself. However, Aries did
>a lecture (perhaps for Johns Hopkins?) regarding shifts in _Western Views of
>Death_ (apprx. title) over the centuries. He eventually stated that death
>has taken the place of sex as the most taboo of subjects. I found this
>particularly interesting when juxtaposing Foucault's views of sex and the
>body!! Anyone read this particular Aries text/ have comments?

The exact reference is Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages
to the Present, trans P{atricia M Ranum, Johns Hopkins Univ Press,
Baltimore, 1974. References to this text can be found in Z Bauman (1992)
Moratlity, Immortality and Other Life Strategies, Polity.

Sorry this is in lieu of views/comments! Ive not actually read the Aries text.
Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Tulle-Winton
Department of Social Science
Glasgow Caledonian University