Re: racism & revolution

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, TOM DILLINGHAM wrote:

> If ignorant blather and gross distortion are not insults, then I
> suppose I must have "started" the "insults." Mea maxima culpa.
> Tom Dillingham

Well, in fact, ignorant blather and gross distortions are not insults.
Calling people ignorant, on the other hand, is an insult.

Would you care to back up your insult with an example or two of ignorant
blather and gross distortion? Otherwise one can only guess that you are
upset about the way Stalin has been characterized, or perhaps about the
link between Marxism and other transcendental religious and political
movements. Or is it that you think the link between Marxism and a
puritanical approach to politics is misconceived? (By the way, William
Connolly talks about the problem of puritanical politics in the recent
issue of _Philosophy and Social Criticism_.)

And, perhaps more relevant to this list, what do you think of Foucault's
comments in this regard (whatever "this" is, since you don't say about
what anyone has has been ignorant or distorted).

Best wishes,

--John