Re: the golden calf

Reg,

It also seems to me that the background assumption of the kind of
biography Miller wrote, perhaps of biography as a genre, is that there is
some really deep way in which everything one does or says hangs together.
We all recognize that we play different roles calling for different masks
and so on, but Foucault wanted to push that insight a bit further. Thus
in the interview that begins _The Final Foucault_, Foucault comments that
the subject

is not a substance; it is a form and this form is not above
all or always identical to itself. You do not have towards
yourself the same kind of relationships when you constitute
yourself as a political subject who goes and votes or speaks
up in a meeting, and when you try to fulfill your desires in
a sexual relationship. There are no doubt some relationships
and some interferences between these different kinds of
subject but we are not in the presence of the same kind of
subject. In each case, we play, we establish with one's self
some different form of relationship. (_FF_, p. 10)

My problem with Miller, then, is that he assumes that one kind of
relationship with oneself (sexuality and the will-to-death) colors,
informs, determines the rest of what Foucault does in terms of politics
and writing.

--John