Re: Surveiller et Punir

> > ... Why is the English translation of 'Surveiller et Punir,' 'Discipline
> >and Punish'...
> In the Swedish translation it is "overvakning och straff", supervision and
> punish

And in the Finnish translation it is 'Tarkkailla ja rangaista', to
supervise and to punish. I think the English name represents the
genuine version badly. After all, usually the name tells something about
those things that the author thought would be important. Now in the
English translation surveillence losts plenty of that importance to
discipline.

The consequence is obvious. It seems that the studies coming from
enlish-speaking areas are more often focusing on discipline. And if the
one who has done the study hasn't read his Foucault well enough, he or she
usually misses the point

Jani
Reseascher
Jani Erola
Post-modern Riskhabitus and Anomie -Contemporary
Structuration Evaluation Project
Department of Sociology
20014 University of Turku
FINLAND