Re: undergrad texts

I think that >The Order of Things< is absolutely difficult for
undergraduates and would aggree with Eric Angel who mentioned >Discipline
and Punish< as well as >The History of Sexuality< and of course >The Order
of Discourse< gives some of the important insights into the thinking of
Foucault, not to speak of some of the interviews one of which is published
in >Technologies of the self< (done by Rux Martin)

Hanne

----------
> Von: Rob Leventhal <rsl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: Re: undergrad texts
> Datum: Montag, 5. Januar 1998 16:11
>
> I think that the _Archaeology_ is Foucault's unsuccessful attempt to
codify
> what he was doing. It is vague on some of the most important
> theoretical/methodological issues of his work, e.g. the definition of the
> "statement". He says what it is not, but never exactly what it is.
>
> _Discipline and Punish_ and _The Order of Things_ are better. Also, for
> undergrads, the elusive but interesting essay "What is Enlightenment?"
and
> some of the essays contained in the volume _Power/Knowledge_.
>
> Rob
>
> At 09:34 AM 1/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >

> >On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Clare O'Farrell wrote:
> >
> >> Eric Angel mentions that it was Discipline and Punish and The History
of
> >> Sexuality that first got him interested in Foucault. For me it was two
> >> texts - the first 'The Situation of Cuvier in the history of biology'
> >> followed by _The Archaeology_ I thought the Archaeology was a
wonderful
> >> book - it was certainly the one that got me thoroughly hooked on
Foucault.