Re: A KickOff...

>Can I just clarify something, before we read too much into a title:
>
>The title of the first part of Vol 1 etc is "Nous autres, victoriens", not
>"Nous, autres victoriens", which of course means something altogether
>different. The latter is to be translated as "Us Victorians". Nous autres
>is a fairly ordinary linguistic device to express inclusiveness (rather
>than otherness), such as "Nous autres, les gaulois" and so on.

oops correction your honour Ive made a glaring mistake and ended up saying
exactly the opposite to what I meant, its not the "latter" which means us
Victorians but the FORMER ie the real title for the chapter (Nous autres,
victoriens).

Sorry sorry to all of you.

Emmanuelle Tulle-Winton
Department of Social Sciences
Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow G4 0BA
Scotland
Tel: 0141 331 3330 (00 44 141 331 3330 international)
Fax: 0141 331 3439 (00 44 141 331 3439 international)