Re: Concerns (cont. II)

I am not logically obligated to believe either A or ~A by the law of the
excluded middle. I can say that I do not believe one or the other. Not
believing is not equivalent to affirming either of two contradictory
variables. In this case, I doubt that I have a very good idea what the
variables (matter and idea) mean.Consequently, I am not sure they ARE
contradictory. To the extent that I do have an idea, several options
seem open. (A) I could be a monist: either mind or matter are real and
the polar term is epiphenomenal. Or that both are modes of the really
real thing (Spinoza; maybe Whitehead). (B) I could be a dualist: Both
are really really real- indeed the truly real things (Descartes). (C) I
could be a pluralist: Mind and matter are among the really real things
but do not exhaust the list.(D) I could maintain that either may be
really real, but I cannot know (possibly Kant). To say what I "must"
believe (I assume you mean an option is logically entailed) you need
more to go on than you have.