Re: Foucault and Bathouses

The recent discussion on Foucault and bathhouses made me grab for Miller's biography. The
strongest statement on Foucault's frollic with death that appears in Miller's book ends with a
"perhaps":

"...putting his body on the line one last time in a shocking but stangely lyrical, strangely
logical act of Passion, perhaps mad, perhaps-yet also perfectly fitting. Perhaps." p. 369

These are, of course, dangerous perhapses, and I would tend to agree with David Halprin that if
James Miller wants to discuss such excesses, a philosophical biography with voyeuristic
connotations is probably not the best venue to work in. Moreover, the danger of this kind of
speculation is evidenced by precisely the slip that Dave has allowed. Dave's post has shown us
that the distance from a corageous and irresponsible "perhaps" to a pathologizing "common
knowledge" is not far. I wish both Dave and Miller would take note of this.

sb