Re: Philosopy Majors and career tracks

If you are pursuing philosophy solely for personal gain then personal
intellectual gain is all you might get. If you are pursuing philosophy
for an academic career then what M.G. wrote is quite true. Unless you are
mindful of what place you intend to occupy as a philosopher and
investigate what that path entails first, you might encounter many things
for which you will be unprepared and have not themselves chosen. But
Foucault might be the first to say that we might indeed find out the
description of any given "position" in life (my general
reference is to Discipline and Punish). To mix a bit of
existentialism with a bit of Foucault... then you might decide whether you
would like to be in that position or not. Is there an "outside" of
politics? Doubtful, but I cast my vote that philosophy, especially
paired with another discipline will strengthen your mind and perhaps your
wisdom. good luck.

note to markisha... what have you proposed which is so radical?