Re: foucault-digest V2 #120

I think Mark made some good comments on Foucault and Orwell, but I believe
the issue to involve at least two further dimensions to ponder on, the center of
power as well as "its" strategies and goals. In sociology, there have been
some Foucault and Orwell discussions. You may want to consult: - And he
loved Big Brother : man, state and society in question. Basingstoke: Macmillan
for Council of Europe, 1985; - 1984 revisited : totalitarianism in our century, ed.
Irving Howe. New York : Harper & Row, 1983.

I have personally found most hepful studies on the limitations of Foucault and
Orwell (and implications for the relationship between them) in light of recent
developments of social control (esp. in terms of technology and neo-
liberalism). Among the best discussions are Stanley Cohen's Visions of Social
Control (London, Polity Press, 1985) and Gary Marx's work on modern
surveillance, see, e.g. Gary Marx's chapter on "The iron fist and the velvet
glove" in Jim Short, ed., The Social Fabric (Sage, 1986); the chapter on the
new surveillance in Undercover (University of Cailfornia Press, 1988), and on
the engineering on social control in J. Hagan and R. Peterson, eds, Crime and
Inequality (Stanford University Press, 1995), or turn to his webpage at
http://socsci.colorado.edu/~marxg/garyhome.html

Best,