Re: Death of the Author and the subject

Send mail to mime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more info.

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BD8442.E324F540

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Michael Thomas wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of
>a copy of Barthes "Death of the Author" Essay.

It's very widely anthologized, but two places I know you can find it are
_The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends_, ed. D.
Richter, and _The Philosophy of Art: Readings Ancient and Modern_, ed. A.
Neill and A. Ridley. The former is an excellent resource for all kinds of
lit crit stuff, and also contains Foucault's _What is an Author?_, which
could be the text you were thinking of.

----Matthew A. King------Department of Philosophy------McMaster University----
"The border is often narrow between a permanent temptation to commit
suicide and the birth of a certain form of political consciousness."

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01BD8442.E324F540--