Re: reification, agency

At 09:10 1998-05-16 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 5/14/98 7:20:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>H_SHOLAR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< "the market" is one of the
> best reifications going currently, globally. when these horseshitters
> constantly tell us that "the market" pressures us to do this that and the
> other. >>
>

>I wouldn't say THEY cause US to do things we wouldn't otherwise do. Economic
>relations and interactions, for example distribution of goods, pricing and
>sales, are mundane aspects of social life. The main factor causing activity
>in any culture is economic.
>So, before we get into a THEY, we have to consider what everyone has been and
>is doing anyway. As for the THEY, we should be very perspicacious. A THEY
>can either manipulate the market to avariciously seek their own interests, or
>the THEY can attempt to control the avaricious tendencies of several
>manipulators or of the entire 'herd.' I have no doubt that reifications may
>be used by either group. But, I would not extend reification to the entire
>system as that simply condemns human history and is too skeptical of a
view to
>hold to and still live in a human community. Only a Neitschean hermit could
>critisize all of humanity and live apart from it. Therefore, I reserve the
>criticism, "reification" for individual perspectives which attempt to force
>particularistic viewpoints without considering the general interest, the
>truthfulness of their statement, or the probability of what they are
implying.

>BTW, when it comes to reification, my pet peeve is property costs. There
just
>has to be a reasonable deal out there :-)

There is a THEY who tell people to do things in accordance with the signals
from "the market". "the market" that launches these signals is, however,
not a THEY, but certainly a reification. No THEY starts the markets and no
THEY keeps it going on. Certain THEY use the market for THEIR purposes.

Peter Norberg
http://hem.passagen.se/fosforos/arte24.htm