Re: reification, agency

Larry;
I don't have any problem with marketS - as you say in their approriate
time and place. ( and if they work reasonably well.)

My problem with markets lies in the application of the economic theory
or theories of the markets to social and political arenas. Even there,
they wouldn't do so much damage if it weren't that they claim precisely
that enlightenment, scientific aura of 'truth' which is one of the
totalizing theories that foucault so much dislikes. And the problem is
that the poor punter struggling to make sense of the world is offered
certainty and a kind of belief structure which enables him/her to make
'sense' of the difficulties they face. So they incoporate themselves
into it. I' m not out of work - just in a redeployment phase.

a related problem is the construction of the subject: people can only
stand being told so many times that the individual is a utility
maximizer in every aspect of their lives, before they start acting in
that way, in appropriate and inappropriate settings.

cheers,

Nesta