Re: reification, agency, Habermas

> This is interesting, because one of the things that happens to individuals
> with the onset of capitalism is that instead of being someone born into a
> particular role in life, one is the possessor of a given quantity of
> abstract labor (I think that might be a Marxian term of art which I may
> not be using correctly) which one could put to use in any number of
> different roles.

Neither am I certain of the definition of abstract labor and would like
some one to explain that to us. However, buildning on my
pre-understanding of the term, I think the development of capitalism
means that labour becomes increasingly abstract. Instead of working with
concrete objects, an increasing number of people - those who Robert
Reich calls symbol analysts - engage with abstract symbols in their
working lives.
Does this argument fit the definition of abstract labor?

--

Peter Norberg
http://hem.passagen.se/fosforos/arte23.htm